Nibbles the book monster by Emma Yarlett is by far my kids’ favorite book. I was hesitant to purchase it, but it came with my Usborne Books consultant kit and my kids absolutely fell in love. Then I took it to my niece and nephew’s house for their birthday weekend and I read it to them and they fell in love. So much so that I had to buy them their own copy. For Christmas, both sets of kids are getting the sequel.
Nibbles the Book Monster is about Nibbles an adorable little monster that loves eating books. He eats his way through three of our favorite classic fairytales: Goldilocks and The Three Bears, Little Red Riding Hood, and Jack and the Beanstalk.
I personally cannot recommend this book enough and when I shared it on my Instagram account, there were so many comments with the same sentiment.
Reading for Enjoyment (Week 1)
Make Observations and Draw Conlusions (Week 2)
As we read Nibbles the Book Monster, we practiced making observations and drawing conclusions. Here are some of the observations and conclusions we made:
- Oh, my goodness! Look at all those books he is eating!
- Do you see his booty hanging out of the book?
- How is Goldilocks feeling?
- Is that Little Red or her grandma?
- Who bit the giant’s booty?
- Uh oh! What do you think Nibbles is doing?
- He is gone! He nibbled his way through the book.
Recall Details (Week 3)
Here are some of the details we found interesting:
- Can you open the crate?
- Follow Nibbles footsteps.
- Do you see Nibbles?
- Quick follow Nibbles footsteps to find him.
- Who is that little girl?
- How did Nibbles get into Jack and the Beanstalk? (Do you see his footprints?)
- Quick! Close the crate!
Make Connections (Week 4)
As we read Nibbles, we practiced making connections. Here are some of the connections we made:
- Tackle your child’s toes
- Have we read about Goldilocks before?
- What other story is the Big Bad Wolf in?
- Did the Giant’s booty get bit in Jack and the Beanstalk?
Want more lessons like this? Check out my lesson bundles!